Monday, December 14, 2015

Madam Yap lauded for going an extra mile for her maid.

 Published in Straits times forum page.Dec 2015
 
Madam Yap deserves to win the employer of the year award.
From what Ms Pera said that the family always said Please and thank you hence the family as a whole should be lauded.
Some children treat their Helpers very shabbily in public.
Several  times I have seen children behaving badly at the club and in other places and parents do not discipline them. I hope parents and teachers will play their part in imparting good values and  appropriate behaviour.
It's not only children but some adults too treat their maids very badly.
A few days ago I was at a community club function. As I had extra coupons for popcorn and candy floss I gave it to one of the helpers I was shocked when the lady employer pulled some candy floss with her bare hands from the helper.when I saw that I asked the employer if she would like one too..she replied that she will share with her .she continued to eat from the helper so I gave the helper mine.
Unfortunately it takes all kinds to make this world.
I am glad Fast is going to launch a mediation service Centre next year for maids and employers.
In fact it is very important for Employers to be councelled by MOM when they apply for a permit to hire one. Some of them don't really know how to handle and treat maids.
They should be councelled that these maids, some of them very young, leave families and some times children behind in their home country hence it can cause a lot of worry for them. Not only that they have to adjust to a new country and strange family.
Employers must understand that many of them come from villages hence it is not easy for them to adjust.
Besides that they have the load of paying their debts and some times have to work for 6 -9 months without any wages.

No comments: